Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Trying to catch our breath...

Wow... Did you see that year fly by? As a dog, I aged 7 years and I feel it. I suddenly no longer feel like a teenager and, from the simple math, I was able to count my toes, some more than once, I figure I am nearly 21. I guess that makes me of legal age. I actually pondered an after-work glass of wine and then remembered that it is made with grapes and since grapes are toxic to dogs and cats, that would only be an invitation to go back to work and not as the CED (Chief Executive Dog), but as a patient..... um I'll pass. I guess I will be nosing up to the water dish. Maybe if I am nice, my sister will throw in some ice cubes. That means I will have to eat her green peas again at dinner but I actually like veggies so it's a win-win.

There is so much going on around the Hospital so I have been trying to lay low and stay out of the way. We are performing all kinds of surgery everyday and I am getting to meet pets from all over the island. We also have a new extern coming to visit for two weeks and several veterinarians coming for interviews. All of our new staff is up to speed on how this place ticks (sometimes like a time bomb, other times she purrs like a kitten). We are so busy, we are trying to keep up. My dad is still waiting for the cloning machine to come and make a copy of him so he can get a day off. Mom said they should make one of each of them, then they could go on an adventure together. I am not certain what she means, they have adventures daily- like raising 3 kids and running this place isn't enough. My brother Rome said, "maybe they mean the kind of adventure where you do nothing at all". OK... Rome, sit down before you hurt yourself. I think I can actually see his poor little brain cells lining up at the edge of his ears, like lemmings ready to abandon the sinking ship. This is why I write for the paper and not him. Can you imagine my family sitting around doing nothing?They would go nuts and take the first plane back here to crazy.  

All I know is this is going to be an amazing year! I can feel it all the way to the tip of my tail. It is a kind of tingling sensation... actually it is kind of a numb, burning sensation... now that I think about it. Wait a minute! "Rome, get off my tail!" OOOHHHHH pins and needles!   

Anyway... numb tails aside, it is shaping up to be an amazing year. We have so much to look forward to that we are trying to pace ourselves. First up, Rome's Birthday is Saturday the 8th. It is his 1st birthday and, in Hawaii, that is a big deal, so come on up for some treats to celebrate. 

Then we are gearing up for February's Dental Awareness Month. Watch for theTooth in this month's paper. There will only be one and it is only good in February. You have to bring it in to use it..... Shoots, I hope I didn't give away the surprise. Mom would be mad. On second thought, maybe that is why she told me, because she knows I can't keep my mouth shut.....she wouldn't do that... would she? ~Ruff