Wednesday, May 4, 2011

New habits!

Well, as you have all heard, my family recently adopted a bird. When Pineapple arrived, I thought it was an interactive toy.... NO PIKE!!!!! Then I realized that this little bird could be good for the whole family. My human brother gets a new friend to love, my sister gets to watch this new little feathered from from a far. Rome is very interested in watching him. This is good for me because now he is not bothering me as much. I also realized in this last week of bird discovery that if you stand by the cage while the little bugger is eating, it is like being at a parade with
someone tossing out treats right and left. My mom said we should put Pineapple’s impression of a snow blower on YOU TUBE. He gets inside his little feeder and the seeds just go flying out the back end. Oddly, this seems to be the norm for this odd little bird. I watch as the the bird hops around his cage, cheep cheep cheeping. Then the birds outside start cheep cheep cheeping. Let’s put it this way, it is like a symphony of birds only instead of a scheduled concert, this is an impromptu adventure at six in the morning. What is it with new pets and their need to disrupt my sleep patterns? I just don’t understand. Overall I guess I can say that this bird has been a welcome addition to our family.I am curious how bird seed can make that silly bird poop every 15 minutes? My mom looked it up and yes they really do go that often. I guess it will make my brother think again when he complains about back yard scooper duty.
Now, I doubt my family will be taking him to the schools for the Animal and Aina program they do, what with all of Pineapples “habits”, but then again, I didn’t think Rome would be a good candidate either but, according to the teachers and our staff, he did an amazing job. Of course, how hard is it to behave on a leash right? Hummm... obviously, since I didn’t get to go this year, it does raise the question, doesn’t it? The second graders at Konaweana Elementary School had a great time this year. They got to learn all about taking care of dogs and cats. They got to watch my brother get his teeth brushed for five days in a row (better him then me). He actually really likes to get his teeth brushed! I on the other hand, really only like the poultry-flavored toothpaste.
The second graders got to learn about whiskers and how they work. They learned about how their ears, nose, and eyes work and how they compare to us animals. For the record, even with my one eye, I still see better then a human. Maybe not as good as a cat, but I would never admit it. It is plausible deny-ability. I learned that term on CNN this week and I like it.
Overall, I guess this last week or so has been pretty great. I think my family is healing from our loss and experiencing all kinds of new adventures with our new bird, Pineapple. My mom and Stacia a gearing up for another round of school programs for the next school year and me, well I am going to use my imagination and pretend I am an anteater... only my sticky tongue is going to be hunting bird seed. This shouldn’t be too hard. Oh where do I start? Wait a minute... MOM!!!!! Did you vacuum while I was writing my column? Cats foiled again. I was so looking forward to a little more plausible deny-ability. RUFF!