Monday, November 14, 2011

BACON.....

 


I have a question for you. What is it about BACON that makes my mom so nuts? Yesterday she and dad made pancakes and bacon for breakfast. This would be normal except my mom decided to make a "panwich". She layered a pancake, then syrup, then BACON, then another pancake and then cut it in half and ate it like a sandwich. Now these pancake were not huge. They were only about 4 inches across so it was the perfect little sandwich. It smelled amazing and that maple syrup and maple bacon, well, I was secretly wishing she would drop it or it would drip onto the floor but no such luck. Then my mom started coming up with all kinds of fun ideas on ways to eat pancakes. One of which was the "Pantaco". You could fold it in half like a taco, filling it with sausage or BACON and scrambled eggs and drizzle it with syrup. Where does she come up with this stuff? 

After our breakfast of curiosities, Mom went about her day. She whipped up a pan of Rice Krispie treats for dessert later. I was super excited about that. Then came dinner. Now my mom generally doesn't like to touch raw hamburger; it freaks her out. She can help Dad all day long with surgery but this simple dinner task can often prove to be just too much for her so usually Dad is in charge of making the burgers but not today. Mom did it all by herself and never said a word to Dad about needing a hand. Instead, she got everything ready and it was only when they needed to be put on the grill did she enlist Dad's services. I was dumbfounded. What has gotten into her? Then I saw it. Concealed on the counter in a bag wrapped in a paper towel was the rest of the cooked bacon from breakfast. Mom was not in her right mind because she was thinking about the BACON burgers she was making for dinner. Stranger still was this whole situation because Mom doesn't usually eat hamburgers. I think it was the promise of another chance to eat BACON. My brothers were even more shocked when Mom took this meal to a whole new level of cheesy and added ranch dressing to the burger and side order of seasoned french fries. Mom's burger, minus cheese of course, must have been amazing. She didn't say a word as she sat there with our family enjoying this very guilty pleasure. She even chased it with a Rice Krispie treat. I leaned against her to see if perhaps she was running a fever. Nope!

We don't have BACON at our house very often. In fact,  I think it has been at least 6 months since our family last enjoyed it- well everyone except my oldest human brother (he hates BACON). My Mom says if she didn't know she had actually given birth to him she would have to say there is no possible way he could be hers. Unless you are a vegetarian, is there really anyone out there that doesn't love bacon? I often wonder. I must confess, I too love BACON. I am not allowed to eat it but once when my sister dropped hers on the floor, I helped make sure it didn't go to waste and I have to say......my mom has great taste. I LOVE BACON!!!! 

~ Ruff